Saturday, June 6, 2009

Welcome to Kyiv!

After the drama with my poor buns, my trip to Kyiv went pretty well.  I had waaaaay too much stuff, although now that I made it I'm glad I dragged it all with me.  Especially because the rest of my stuff won't get here until the end of July!  But man, talk about Christmas in July!  That will be a wonderful day!  Maybe this is where that expression came from!

I lived in a "temporary" apartment for a week or so before I moved into my "permanent" apartment.  Well, permanent for the next three years!  Both are located very near the down town areas of Kyiv (there are sortof 2) so I can easily walk around and explore on foot.  (Which is good because I don't have my car yet either!).  But this is a great time of year for walking!  We've had a few rainy days, but even then it's seemed to be the kind of rain that tires itself out after a while so you can sneak about in between showers.  Or I can ride the bus for 1.50 Gryvna's.  (Which is not very expensive at all!)

I was taken to a big grocery store and pleased to discover that everything is here!  Although, for some reason the toilet paper is scented.  And of course the labels are all in Ukrainian or Russian.  But they have lots of fruit, veggies, meat, and fish.  And juice!  Juice is my new favorite staple.

The first weekend I walked about I took some pictures and videos with my new camera (thanks Mike and Traci!)  :)  Enjoy this little glimpse!  More to come!
~L

No comments: