Monday, April 6, 2009

The Importance of Being a Consumer Activist: North Shore Agency Collection Scam

I was literally shocked an appalled to receive a "debt collection notice" from a company called North Shore Agency.  Apparently it is some sort of scam to trick people into renewing magazines that they had tried to let subscriptions expire on.  I was even more upset because it was from Runner's World.  I sortof thought that my subscription had expired, and that was OK.  I had made the decision to not renew, and therefore had not sent in more money or gone online to sign up.  Apparently, their marketing practice is to renew my subscription anyway and then send a letter saying that they had hired a debt collection agency to collect my debt!  Only, the payment was still to be sent to Runner's World.  Of course I googled the company, and while it does have a fake website, the second most popular page described the multitude of scams that this company either runs, or who is used by another company to run the scam.  There is actually a class action law suit that I would have signed up for, but I read that John Grisham book about class action law suits and they still disgust me.  So to simplify things, Rodale press simply goes on my "never buy another magazine from again" list.  No more Runner's World, Women's Health, or anything about bicycling because they probably own that too.  And as I said in my letter to them, I'm extra disappointed because Rodale is from my home town and I thought that I was supporting a good local business.  I know times are tough, but it is never OK to scam or trick people, or intimidate them into renewing a magazine subscription to keep Dog the Bounty hunter from showing up at the door over $21.94.  Grr.  Things like this are what puts capitalism to shame.  Make money honestly people!  Runner's world is a good magazine!  If they had sent me a few more post cards and emails I probably would have caved in and decided to renew!  But now they have lost a customer for life.  And whoever else I can convince.
~L

my letter to them (to be followed up by a phone call tomorrow):
Dear Runners World, While I used to like your magazine, I am shocked and disappointed that you would resort to a "collection agency debt scam" to coerce readers into continuing their subscriptions. I did not renew my subscription with you, therefore there is no reason why I should owe you the $21.94 that this debt collection agency supposedly is going to collect. After searching for the company online, I found many other complaints that this is a scam and a ripoff. There is even a class action lawsuit being filed that I will promptly sign up for if this charge is not immediately removed or if anything appears on my credit report as an unpaid debt. This is a horrible way to trick people into your renewing your magazine and I highly recommend that you and Rodale disassociate yourselves from such heinous marketing tactics. While I had been considering a renewal with the weather getting warmer again, I certainly will never renew with your magazine or any magazine that Rodale publishes after this attempted scam. I am even more disappointed because I grew up in the Lehigh Valley and liked to think that I was helping a company from back home. With sincere regret, ~Lisa Walkup

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I, too, am shocked and appalled! And So disappointed--I expected better from Runner's World!